Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Resolutions for 2008

I like the idea that January 1st is a new start. Even though it is just an arbitrary date that was set years back (Chinese and Jewish calendars both have other starting dates), it gives us all a unifying point. It is here that we meet with friends, relatives, and complete strangers in our walk toward a better tomorrow. And yes, promises will be broken. Chances are, most of us will continue with our bad habits - we will smoke, overeat, indulge in our desires, forget the gym, spend more time on the computer, and work overtime instead of heading home. But for this one day, we can hope for change. And, after all, isn't it the thought that counts?

My 2008 Resolutions:



1. “I can do all things through Christ, which strengthens me.”--- Philippians 4:13
That is a limitless statement, because anything I do with God’s blessing will be a success. I can complete any task, overcome any problem, and become any person I want to be…all because He loves me.

2. “When books fall open, you fall in.”--- Mary Engelbreit
READ!!! Read a book every month that in no way relates to school or professional development. Read for the pure, utter enjoyment of it.

3. “Everyone needs their own spot.”--- Robert Whalen
Make my apartment my own by decorating and spending quality time in it. Invite people over, have parties, and make this space my own. I pay for it!


4. “Friends, books, a cheerful heart and conscience clear are the most choice companions we have here.”--- William Mather
Expand my social circle. Go to parties, movies, and coffee dates with friends. Remember that dating is not something to fear, it’s something to enjoy. Have fun with people, so that I will understand why God said “it is not good for man to be alone”.


5. “Money is the root of all evil.”--- Chinese Proverb
Now that I am relying solely on myself for all financial support, I have got to learn how to balance my budget. Yes, I have a little savings, but that can’t be “nickel and dimed” out of existence with Saturday trips to Starbucks and Blockbuster runs. Part of becoming an adult is figuring out what I can afford and sticking to it. By this time next year, I want to have my budget under control and a substantial start to a savings account.

6. “One of the luckiest things that can happen to you in life, I think, is to have a happy childhood.”---Agatha Christie
Make each day a new chance to show love, compassion, and the importance of learning to each student I come into contact with. No more trying to “get through” the day. I need to understand that God’s purpose is for me to teach, and being in the classroom with these students is a gift, not an obligation.



I also want to:
Do my own taxes.
Learn more about my personal health.
Research teaching offers at other schools.
Find a way to make extra money in my free time.
Make and sustain an ebay account.
Learn how to knit, thus canceling out all Christmas gift costs for 2008.
Bake cookies once a month for the local homeless shelter.

No comments: