Sunday, August 24, 2008

Back again

Oh my goodness...

So very much has happened since I last wrote. I finished up my first year of teaching, and spent the summer in complete trepidation about finances. God walked me through and opened the door to another school in the area, and I am now working there.

The school is a VERY diverse environment - almost the total opposite of my classroom of clean little Christian pre-pubescents. While those students were barely dating, I have at least three students in this new class with children of their own. And that shocks me. Throughout this entire transition I have tried to maintain a pleasantly optimistic attitude; I've voiced my enthusiasm for working in a diverse classroom, for seeing the cultures of our area together, for hearing the opinions of our youth.


But honestly, now that I've seen it...I'm scared to death.
I'm not afraid for my life or anything like that. It's more a fear that I've gotten WAY in over my head. I don't have the experience or the tools to work with students who are coming from the worst possible homes. How do I make grammar, early American literature, and Emily Dickinson even remotely relevant???!!!???


I hope to keep posting on here. I want to express my thoughts and frustrations in a way that I can look back and reflect on years from now. And I want to get through this year with a feeling that I helped a student.

No comments: